Connect with others

Being given Rispiridone in aged care home

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I was wondering if anyone had some feedback/advice about Rispiridone, an antipsychotic my father is being given in the aged care home he went into about 5 weeks ago. He has frontotemporal dementia and apparently gets aggressive at night. The TGA said in Aug last year that Rispiridone should no longer be given to dementia patients and if it is, it should be strictly for 12 weeks, and only for Alzheimer’s type dementia. I am worried about the side effects as when I saw him on the weekend he was wet through with sweat after a walk and said he was telling me he had also had some kind of palpitations or breathing issues – (he kind of just fluttered his hands above his chest to demonstrate, so not sure which.) My mother is in charge of his care and has just kind of washed her hands of his medications etc but I think she has more faith in the home than I do! I would truly appreciate some advice/opinions on this. Thank you.

Forum Admin

Hi May,

Without knowing the specifics of your father’s situation, and as a general principle, anti-psychotic medication should be given as a last resort, and following the use of non- pharmacological (that is, non-drug-based) interventions. You are within your rights to ask the facility what they have tried with your father, to establish if there are any other possible avenues to try (without using medication). You can also ask for a medical review.

Our Online Dementia Support counselling service can also assist you if you would like to contact us. To access it, please select COUNSELLING ONLINE from the menu above and then click on Contact a Counsellor. Alternatively you can call our National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.

You may also want to consider calling the Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service (DBMAS). DBMAS is fantastic resource for carers managing behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia and they can support you to work with the facility on these issues; they can be reached on 1800 699 799.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you want further information or support.

Alzheimer’s Australia Vic Online Dementia Support Team.

MiaMia40

Hi May,
    My mum has Alzheimer’s dementia she was put on Rispiridone one year prior to going into aged care. That year she started to show aggression because she was frustrated for not being able to remember.
    What is frustrating is mum now refuses medication from the aged care staff but she will take it for me. I can’t be there 24 hours a day and they can’t force her to take it.
    Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.